Friday, February 17, 2017

WHAT YOU MIGHT FIND ON THIS BLOG FROM NOW ON

I haven't used this blog the way I thought I would during the post-production of Death & Taxes, which is a bummer, but now I plan to start using it to go back and document some of the making of the film and what I'm doing to slowly get the film out there. From the budget, to a time line, to disappointments with film festivals and some production tricks I learned, to the really strange cast and crew screening, and to why finishing the film took so long, I hope to write here. So come back, if you're at all curious, and check it out.

Strange, opening this blog after so long, I found a post still in draft form that I'd totally forgotten about. I think it was written in March of last year about a week before my mom passed away. It pretty much says a lot of what I've just written - about how I want to use this blog now. Unfortunately, because of burnout it has taken me awhile to get to it. 

Now that I've activated the second website mentioned below and bought a new domain: www.pricklypearproductions.com. Neither of those two former sites are working anymore.





March 2016

I can't believe I just finished the last of the changes that I decided to do after watching the beautiful new DCP of DEATH & TAXES on the big screen (wasn't that big) during the Cast & Crew Screening on November 15th of last year at the Jean Cocteau Cinema in beautiful downtown Santa Fe. There were only ten changes, and I knocked off the first six by early December (and loaded that version to Vimeo) before taking off to Chicago to see my mom. But after the holidays, I just couldn't bring myself to do the last few. One reason for the reluctance was because I wanted to put parts of three shots (and one new scene) back in and that required some recutting, not just tweaking like the previous changes. Recutting is a real pain when your are dealing with L.R.C.Ls.Rs.LTE tracks for Dialogue, Effects and Music. Many meticulous details to keep track of, and I'm just so over working on this flick. But I just finished and it wasn't all that bad. (I hadn't really finished and would do more changes up until late April.) While I procrastinated on finishing the film, I recut the trailer and made another free website on I'm Creator at:

http://www.i-m.mx/Pmac/DandTdemotwo/

The first one I had put up during breaks in editing hoping to keep the cast and crew involved. It's at:

http://www.i-m.co/Pmac/DeathampersandTaxes/hello.html

Not even sure which one is better and I'm Creator probably isn't really the right site to use for what I plan to do with the film, but it is so easy. Started to researching distribution for my opus. The same way that I made the film will probably be the same way that I try to get it out there. I might send it to a few distributors, but I'm pretty sure they, like the festivals I've applied to, will be an utter waste of time and, the real bummer (with the festivals), money. Now that I'm done with the cut I want to share some of my journey with making this very indie film. Not in any order, just what hits me to share. I know I want to write about the cast and crew screening next. It was a pretty funny undertaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment